February 27, 2011

Calla Lilies - 17/2/11

These are some calla lilies that I made in sugarpaste. I adapted the instructions found here to make them.

The stems are made out of kebab skewers cut in half, but I made the stamens too big at first so a couple of them are out of proportion.

You can see the two on the left where I made the stamens too long. 

A problem I encountered was that the amount of colour needed made the paste very sticky and so I had to roll out the icing a few too many times. This meant that by the end, the colour had been reduce by the amount of icing sugar I was using to stop the icing from sticking to the worktop.

One on its own. They look quite like the real thing.

Two together.

These are still made of sugarpaste, not flower paste which may be why I had problems with the icing. However they look quite effective for a first attempt at this flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment